Syrian authorities insist on no direct talk with opposition

14.07.2017 - 14:25 #Syria, #talks, #Indirect
Ja'afari alluded to foreign backers of the main opposition, like Saudi Arabia and Turkey

The Latest on developments in Syria and the latest round of indirect peace talks in Geneva (all times local):

The Syrian government's top envoy to the U.N.-mediated peace talks in Geneva says his team has not been asked to meet face-to-face with the opposition.

Bashar al-Ja'afari spoke to reporters after his final meeting with U.N. envoy Staffan de Mistura as this seventh round of indirect talks involving the warring sides since early last year was coming to a close on Friday.

Ja'afari alluded to foreign backers of the main opposition, like Saudi Arabia and Turkey, as well as smaller opposition factions.

He says that the "most important thing is for us (government) to have a national partner, and not a client for foreign agendas."

A day earlier, de Mistura acknowledged that he was not "pushing" for the opposition and government delegations to meet directly until they could engage in "real" talks.

Source: Reuters

Поделиться публикацией:
Главные новости
Дипломатия
Конец 40-летней войны: парламент Турции согласовал реинтеграцию курдских бойцов
Анкара готовит правовую базу для окончательного разоружения PKK и национального примирения
Политика
Отсчет пошел: Трамп установил Тегерану финальный срок для ядерной сделки
Вашингтон требует немедленных уступок от Тегерана на фоне усиления военного давления
Ближний восток
Сенатор Линдси Грэм назвал Саудовскую Аравию ключом к стабильности на Ближнем Востоке
Американский политик обсудил с Мухаммедом бин Салманом будущее региона и права палестинцев
Ищите нас на Twitter

© Ukraine in Arabic, 2018. All Rights Reserved.