Egyptian authorities declared state of emergency after terror attacks on christian churches

The group has targeted Copts in Egypt recently and warns of more attacks

Egypt's President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi on Sunday announced a three-month state of emergency after attacks on two Coptic churches that left at least 44 dead, according to BBC News.

The measure allows authorities to make arrests without warrants and search people's homes. It needs to be approved by parliament before it is implemented, BBC News reported. So-called Islamic State (IS) said it was behind the blasts in Tanta and Alexandria on Palm Sunday.

The group has targeted Copts in Egypt recently and warns of more attacks. Mr Sisi made a defiant speech at the presidential palace after a meeting of the national defense council to discuss the explosions.

He warned that the war against the jihadists would be "long and painful", and said that the state of emergency would come into force after all "legal and constitution steps" were taken. The majority in parliament backs Mr Sisi. The president had earlier ordered the deployment of the military across the country to protect "vital and important infrastructure".

Source: UNIAN

Поделиться публикацией:
Главные новости
Дипломатия
Саудовская Аравия и Япония расширяют стратегическое партнерство в сфере обороны и энергетики
Принц Фейсал бин Фархан призвал Токио объединить усилия для защиты морских путей
Экономика
Мировые цены на нефть растут пятую сессию подряд из-за тупика в войне с Ираном
Стоимость марки Brent достигла почти 92 долларов за баррель из-за санкций ОАЭ
Дипломатия
Франция собирает международную конференцию в Париже для финансовой поддержки ливанской армии
Париж и Бейрут подготовят почву для разоружения группировок на юге страны
Ищите нас на Twitter

© Ukraine in Arabic, 2018. All Rights Reserved.